Birth Day Presence, Inc. (“Birth Day Presence”, "BDP", the “Company”, “we” or “us”) is a childbirth education and doula training center that offers access to classes, workshops, and group meetings (collectively, the “Services”) which are taught by independently contracted childbirth educators and trainers (collectively, “Educators”).
In order to provide the Services, we may collect, use, share, and exchange your personal, health and health-related information. Some or all of the health and health-related information we collect may be considered protected health information (“PHI”) which is protected under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”).
HIPAA protects the privacy and security of your PHI by limiting the uses and disclosures of PHI by most healthcare providers and by health plans (called “Covered Entities”), as well as companies, such as Birth Day Presence, that provide certain types of assistance to Covered Entities (called “Business Associates”). This HIPAA Authorization describes how Birth Day Presence uses and manages this information, and requests your permission to use and share your PHI in specific ways necessary to provide the Services to you. If your Educator(s) are considered “Covered Entities” under HIPAA they may have adopted their own HIPAA policies describing how they will use and disclose your PHI.
I. HIPAA Authorization
By agreeing to the terms of this HIPAA Authorization you grant Birth Day Presence permission to use and disclose your PHI in the following ways;
- To assess and determine which Educators are qualified to provide Services to you, and connect you to such Educators;
- To share PHI with your Educators so they can deliver appropriate content to you;
- To conduct analysis for Birth Day Presence's business purposes;
- To support development of the Services;
- To communicate within our organization for class scheduling and recommendations;
- To create de-identified information and then use and disclose this information in any way permitted by law, including to third parties in connection with their commercial and marketing efforts and clinical research studies; and
- To comply with federal, state or local laws that require disclosure.
Such use and disclosure may be to the following individuals/ entities:
- Third parties assisting Birth Day Presence with any of the uses described above;
- A third party as part of a potential merger, sale or acquisition of Birth Day Presence;
- Our business partners who assist us by performing core services (such as hosting, billing, fulfillment, or data storage and security) related to the operation or provision of our services; and
- A provider of medical services, in the event of an emergency
In addition, you authorize Birth Day Presence:
- To share information with you regarding services, products or resources about which we think you may be interested in learning more;
- To provide you with updates and information about the Services;
- To market to you about Birth Day Presence and third-party products and services;
Additionally, you authorize that all aforementioned disclosure and communications, may be conducted via channels such as email, text message, sms, google voice, google voice text, whatsapp, and video conferencing platforms that may or may not be considered secure under the security guidelines of HIPAA.
YOU MAY REVOKE YOUR AUTHORIZATION AT ANY TIME; however, this will not affect prior uses and disclosures. In some cases, state law may require that we apply extra protections to some of your health information.
If Birth Day Presence discloses your PHI, Birth Day Presence will require that the person or entity receiving your PHI agrees to only use and disclose your PHI to carry out its specific business obligations to Birth Day Presence or for the permitted purpose of the disclosure (as described above). Birth Day Presence cannot, however, guarantee that any such person or entity to which Birth Day Presence discloses your PHI or other information will not re-disclose it in ways that you or we did not intend or permit.
III. Non-Protected Health Information
IV. Our Responsibilities
- We are required by law to maintain the privacy and security of your protected health information.
- We will let you know promptly if a breach occurs that may have compromised the privacy or security of your information.
- We must follow the duties and privacy practices described in this notice and give you a copy of it.
- We will not use or share your information other than as described here unless you tell us we can in writing. If you tell us we can, you may change your mind at any time. Let us know in writing if you change your mind.
For more information see: www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/consumers/noticepp.html.
V. Your Health Information Rights
The law entitles you to:
- Obtain a Copy of Your Health Information
You can ask to see or obtain a copy of your health information we have about you. We may charge a reasonable, cost-based fee for providing you with a copy or summary of your health information.
- Ask Us to Correct Health and Claims Records
You can request an amendment of your health information if you feel the health information is incorrect or incomplete. However, under certain circumstances we may deny your request.
- Request Confidential Communications
- Ask us to Limit what we Use or Share
You may ask that we restrict how we use or disclose your health information. However, we are not required to agree with your requests if it would affect your care.
- Get a List of Those With Whom We Have Shared Information
You may ask to receive an accounting of certain disclosures of your health information made for the prior six (6) years, although this excludes disclosures for treatment, payment, and health care operations. We may charge a reasonable, cost-based fee for providing you with a copy or summary of this accounting.
- Get a Copy of this Privacy Notice
You may ask to obtain a paper copy of this notice even if you receive it electronically.
- File a Complaint if you Feel your Rights are Violated
If you believe that your privacy has been violated, you may file a complaint with us or with the Secretary of Health and Human Services in Washington, D.C. We will not retaliate or penalize you for filing a complaint with the facility or the Secretary.
VI. Contact Us
If you have any questions about this HIPAA Authorization, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
VII. Changes to policy
We may modify this policy from time to time, and if we make material changes to it, we will notify you through the Website, or by other means so that you may review the changes before you continue to use the Website. Continuing to use the Website after we publish or communicate a notice about any changes to this HIPAA Authorization means that you are consenting to the changes.