For thousands of years, Traditional Chinese Medicine has recognized the placenta as powerful medicine used to increase scanty lactation and tonify Qi, life energy, after the birth. Today, many women look to placenta encapsulation as a natural way to even their hormones after birth and avoid postpartum depression. Erica Shane is a local Brooklyn Doula and CLC who uses Traditional Chinese Medicine methods to gently steam, dehydrate, powder and encapsulate the placenta.
Benefits of Placenta Encapsulation and Tincture
- Assist the uterus to return to its pre-pregnancy state
- Reduce post-natal bleeding
- Increase milk production (this has been proven in a study)
- Make for a happier, more enjoyable post-natal period
- Increase your energy levels
- Help to balance your hormones
- Replenish your iron levels
An Alternative Therapy for Postpartum Depression
- Approximately 1 in 6 women experience postpartum depression after giving birth. If medical attention is sought, it usually results in a prescription for anti-depressants. These anti-depressants are passed through the mother’s breast milk to the nursing baby. Choosing medication is a difficult decision that many new mothers face. However, continuing to suffer postpartum depression is also risky for both the mother and the baby.
- Placenta encapsulation can open up many possibilities for women suffering from the stresses associated with the postpartum period and can be a non-invasive way of dealing with postpartum depression, or “baby blues”, which no woman should have to endure.
Before you Birth
Talk to your care provider about taking your placenta home right after the birth. You will need to make special arrangements with the hospital staff to release it right away. Please contact me as soon as you know you wish to receive placenta medicine, to retain my services. At that time please let me know if you have any other questions about placenta medicine or if you have any other cultural, religious, personal or dietary placenta rituals you would like me to help facilitate as well. Please have my phone number handy, as you will be texting me or my assistant when the baby arrives!
The information on this page has not been evaluated by the FDA. ESC does not intend to make medical treatment claims. Services provided are not clinical, pharmaceutical, or intended to diagnose or treat any condition. Families who choose to utilize the services on this page take full responsibility for their own health and capsule/tincture usage.