Birth Doula Trainings
Visit DONA to learn more about the certification process.
Trainings are from 9am to 6pm over the course of 3 days. Our trainings sell out quickly!
Doulas trained by Debra at Birth Day Presence come from all walks of life and go on to be top doulas! Birth Day Presence also offers the opportunity to affiliate and build your birth business quickly! Sign up for our business workshop with BDP Owner and Founder, Jada Shapiro, who has been a doula in NYC for 15 years and learned how to run a doula and childbirth education business from the ground up!
Benefits of a DONA doula workshop with Debra Pascali-Bonaro
What is so special about Debra’s DONA Workshops?
It’s a unique blend of Debra’s inspiration and experience around the world as a doula, a DONA birth and postpartum doula trainer, being part of the first community doula program in the US in the South Bronx, NY, Director of the Neighborhood Doula Project in Paterson, NJ, Co-chairing a global initiative, The International Childbirth Initiative to improve MotherBaby-Family outcomes with 12 steps to Safe and Respectful Maternity Care as well as working internationally to reducing health disparities and create health equity. Debra’s wealth of experience including teaching and learning from doulas, midwives, doctors, nurses and parents in 40 countries around the world provides you with a unique interactive opportunity to learn from her global perspective and activism.
What you will learn:
- About racial disparities in childbirth
- The role of advocacy: organizations that are working in the U.S and globally to reduce racial disparities and create birth equity
- Respectful Care – Birth is a Human Rights Issue
- What the science/evidence show are best practices and the gaps between evidence and practice
- Language matters
- About the hormonal physiology of childbirth and how a doula can help fill hormonal gaps
- Learn the role of continuous support thru the her-story of childbirth
- Discuss the role and scope of practice of DONA doulas
- How the move 100 years ago from a social model to a medical model for childbirth has offered benefits but also stripped people of their power and too many times the respect, dignity, and support they deserve. You will learn how doulas are reconnecting the circle of support
- A doulas role with the emotions of childbirth
- Skills to include in a prenatal visit
- Comfort measures and positions for labor and birth
- Skills to support posterior labors
- Rebozo her-story and comfort
- How to bring respect and love to challenging birth – the doulas’ role with epidurals and gentle belly-births
- Postpartum visit – processing the birth experience
- And so much more – Debra has taught thousands of doulas, nurse, midwives and parents, and physicians – don’t miss this unique opportunity to begin or expand your doula practice – whether you are beginning your path to becoming a doula, want to learn how to support your partner, friend or family, are a nurse who would like to enhance your comfort skills or are a community doula looking to expand your labor support skills – Our doula workshop brings together people from all backgrounds and experiences to discuss the challenges and opportunities that exist today to ensure everyone has a safe, respectful and gentle birth in any setting.
Check out this fabulous and thorough review from a recent doula trainee, Amanda Alappat!“By the end of day 2, it felt that the class became a small family. We knew each other intimately and all felt genuinely supported, embraced and celebrated.” – Amanda Alappat Each day I continued to feel lighter, gaining more and more confidence with Debra’s insight and guidance on how to support women in birth. There were so many beautiful take-a-ways from Debra that will stay with me forever and are imprinted on my heart, for example, “We birth the way we live”, “Be like Wendy” and “Birth it Forward”, just to name a few. But, it was at one single point in the workshop when Debra said, “We know what we need to know when we need to know it” that I instantly felt all of the weight lifted off of my shoulders and I knew that I was now a Doula and that that was all I ever needed to know. Thank you, Debra!” -Catalina Glasgow, Jan 2015 grad